Stir fry is the way to go when you have a little bit of this and that in your fridge. There are probably hundreds of versions of stir fry. As for my case, I make stir fry when I want clean my fridge or save veggies from getting bad.
As for this particular stir fry I made the other night, here are the ingredients:
Beef 1.5 lbs - sliced into strips
Garlic, 3 cloves - minced
Onion, 1 small - chopped
Green onions, 3 strands - cut into 1 in.
Asparagus, 1 lb. - cut into 1 in. spears
Carrots, 3 small - cut into strips
Red bell pepper, 1 - cut into strips
Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
Hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon
Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Turn the stove on (low heat), and put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan/wok. While the pan & oil is warming up, slice the beef into strips. Then turn the stove to high, and place the beef in the pan, drizzle salt and pepper. Once the beef is brown, turn the stove to medium low. (Tip: I buy the beef already sliced for stir fry to save time.)
(**Now, time to slice and dice the veggies! But make sure you keep an eye on the beef, stirring it in between chopping veggies. Also, if you're eating this with rice, this is the time to cook it. This way rice gets done the same time as the stir fry**)
2. While the beef is cooking and getting tender, in a small bowl, I mixed 1 tbsp of hoisin sauce, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of olive oil & 1/4 cup of water. Set aside.
3. Mince garlic & dice onions, then put in the pan with the beef. Stir.
4. Slice carrots & red bell pepper into strips, asparagus into small spears, cut green onions into 1 inch long.
5. Put the sauce (from step 2) in with the beef. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add the carrots in. Let the carrots cook for about 3 minutes. Turn the stove to medium high.
7. Lastly, add the bell pepper, green onions & asparagus. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Turn off stove and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
This should take about 30 to 45 minutes to cook depending on how fast you chopped veggies and beef. Enjoy!